Ashiatsu Bars Level 1
This course is designed to teach students basic to intermediate concepts of barefoot massage for practicing in a safe and effective manner.
This 38 hour course includes the following:
Structural and logistical considerations for barefoot massage, the history of barefoot massage, strategies for using the feet to effectively massage clients, anatomy and kinesiology as specifically applicable to the modality, self care practices, targeted massage for common client concerns, indications and contraindications, and an emphasis on feet-on practice on a variety of body types.
- Students will be able to describe the history and different styles of barefoot massage.
- Students will be able to describe different strategies, approaches, and tools to structurally support barefoot massage in the treatment room.
- Students will be able to describe and elaborate on when barefoot massage is indicated or contraindicated for clients.
- Students will be able to describe strategies for self care.Students will be able to perform a wide variety of barefoot massage techniques with aptitude.
- Students will be able to identify which muscle groups are being targeted with specific barefoot techniques and demonstrate the appropriate and accurate use of anatomical terminology.
- Students will be able to describe strategies for addressing common injuries and client concerns.
- Students will be able to perform both a 60 and 90 minute massage routine as learned in class.
- Students will be able to provide one or more case studies, treatment outlines, SOAP notes, and written personal reflections on the care of practice clients from class.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competence and professionalism in all aspects of the coursework.
Day 1: Introduction, History, Indications/Contraindications, Terminology, and Seated Warm Up Practicum.
Day 2: Standing Prone Practicum, Marketing, Client Concerns, Emotional Release, and Being Trauma-Informed.
Day 3: Prone and Supine Practicum.
Day 4: Finish Supine Practicum, Review and Practice for Final Examinations.
Day 5: WRITTEN AND PRACTICAL FINAL EXAMS (Scheduled time slots, refer to Course Outline)
Textbook: “Healing with the Feet: An Introduction to the World of Barefoot Massage,” Jenni Miller-James, digital or paperback version.