Introduction to Ashiatsu Straps
This course is designed to introduce students to the basic concepts of barefoot massage for practicing in a safe and effective manner.
The 16 hours will include the following:
Structural and logistical considerations for barefoot massage, a brief history of barefoot massage, strategies for using the feet to effectively massage clients, anatomy and kinesiology as specifically applicable to the modality, self care practices, targeted massage for common client concerns, indications and contraindications, and an emphasis on feet-on practice on a variety of body types.
- Students will be able to describe a brief history of barefoot massage.
- Students will be able to describe different strategies, approaches, and tools to structurally support barefoot massage in the treatment room.
- Students will be able to describe and elaborate on when barefoot massage is indicated or contraindicated for clients.
- Students will be able to describe strategies for self-care.
- Students will be able to perform a variety of barefoot massage techniques with aptitude.
- Students will be able to identify which muscle groups are being targeted with specific barefoot technique.
- Students will be able to describe strategies for addressing common injuries and client concerns.
- Students will be able to perform a 60 minute massage routine as learned in class.
- Students will be able to provide one or more SOAP notes, and written personal reflections on the care of practice clients from class.
- Students will be able to demonstrate competence and professionalism in all aspects of the coursework.
“Healing with the Feet: An Introduction to the World of Barefoot Massage”
By Jenni Miller-James (digital or paperback version)
Testing and Evaluation
There will be a multiple-choice and/or written final exam as well as a feet-on practical final exam consisting of performing a 90-minute barefoot massage. Students must demonstrate competence in the techniques taught in class. Each student’s practical exam will be evaluated by an instructor and given a grade of PASS or FAIL.
Students are required to achieve a passing score of 70% on the final exam.
Certified Massage Therapist
Each prospective student must provide the following documentation:
Color Copy of their Identification
Down Payment (50% of the total cost of the class) Finaincial Agreement Complete